Gunthermann began producing mechanical toy cars in Nuremberg in 1898 and also a number of comic and character tin wind-ups in the early 1960s.
When the founder Siegfried Gunthermann died in 1890, his widow married Adolph Weigel. Toys from that period on bore makers mark with a shield inside circle and initials A.S.G.W. Wiegels initials were removed following his death in 1919.
The company was acquired by Siemens in 1965.