The Brothers (Gebruder) Bing were one of the most prominent toy makers in Germany. Founded in Nurnberg by the brothers Ignaz and Adolf Bing in 1863, they started out making kitchen utensils, progressing to toys in the late 1800s.
In 1905 production grew to the point where the company boasted the largest toy factory in the world. Their model steam engine line was one of the most diverse. Bing also made tinplate litho toys in general, and a fair amount of model railroad equipment, including some live steam locomotives.
Ignatz Bing died in 1918 at the age of 79, and the company was renamed "Bing Werke". The US stock market crash of 1928 resulted in huge debts on the part of the John Bing division in New York being called in, for which the parent corporation had to take responsibility. This led to financial difficulties for Bing Werke, but given the political climate in Germany in 1932 (the Bing family was Jewish), no bank would loan Bing additional money. Bing Werke ceased to exist in August, 1932, and the assets were divided up and sold off. Falk and Krauss purchased the model steam related equipment, while Karl Bub took the model train line, and Fleischmann bought up the model boat machinery. Bub continued building the Bing line of trains until the onset of WWII, and later folded completely in the 1960s.