Reborn toddlers are hand crafted, customized, repainted and artistically enhanced vinyl dolls to look like real, human toddlers. The process of creating a these reborn toddlers is referred to as: reborning.
The technique of Reborning has evolved a lot over the past five years, as hobbyists and reborn doll artists have refined their painting techniques and added technical enhancements, such as a heartbeat simulator. More recently special reborn doll kits are available, and mechanical enhancements are seen such a battery powered breathing mechanism to simulate the breathing movements of a sleeping toddler.
Just like kids, reborn toddlers come in every conceivable shape size and color - nowadays there are Caucasian, Asian and African American reborn toddlers.
The technique of 'reborning' a normal vinyl doll typically involves the following processes.
- The vinyl doll is taken apart and the factory paint is removed.
- A color wash is applied to the doll body parts inside and out to create realistic skin tones.
- The exterior is painted using various techniques, to add the appearance of translucent skin tones and effects such as veins, blotching, and "milk-spots" to resemble the skin of a real toddler.
- Hair and eyelashes -usually of fine mohair- are applied using rooting tools or felting needles.
- The original vinyl body is replaced with a soft stuffed and weighted body.
- A magnet may be attached inside the mouth for attaching a magnetic pacifier. Additional enhancements may include a magnetically attached "umbilical cord", a battery powered heartbeat simulator, breathing simulator and heat packs.
- Once completed the doll is no longer suitable as a child's toy.
What's it worth? Take a look at this Reborn Toddlers price guide: sold listings for a value indication.